Kitchen Cook wanted in Canada –
A proudly Canadian retail company, Sobeys began in 1907 as a small meat delivery business in Stellarton, Nova Scotia. Today, Sobeys Inc. serves the food shopping needs of Canadians with approximately 1,500 stores in all 10 provinces under retail banners that include Sobeys, Safeway, IGA, Foodland, FreshCo, Thrifty Foods, and Lawton’s Drug Stores as well as in-store pharmacies, liquor and more than 350 retail fuel locations.
Together with our 125,000 employees and franchise affiliates and a collective passion for delivering exceptional food and shopping experiences, Sobeys’ purpose is to improve the lives of Canadians by helping them Eat Better, Feel Better and Do Better. .
A day in the life of an Oriental Kitchen Cook: Love cooking? Our Oriental Kitchen cooks play an important role in ensuring our customers always are able to find the freshest hot and ready to eat meals that Safeway offers. Food Safety is a top priority to our customers and all of our employees do their best to uphold the highest standards that are in place. Full training is provided for this position.
- Previous Chinese cooking experience is an asset
- Upholds and complies with company procedures, standards and policies in all situations
- Greets customers in a polite and friendly manner
- Demonstrates superior customer service in accordance with Safeway’s programs
- Process cash register payments by cash, cheque, credit card, gift card and debit
- Prepare hot foods for full service counters
- Assist customers with their food selection, find product for the customer and wrap their selection
- Offer samples to customers
- Perform various cleaning and sanitizing duties including wiping counters, washing trays, cleaning cases and sweeping work area
- Use of commercial power equipment, including slicers, fryers and ovens
- Writing product orders
- Receiving and rotation of product
- Ensure quality of products meets established standards
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities Required
- Ability to learn quickly
- Ability to work in a fast paced environment
- Highly motivated and team oriented
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely in both oral and written form
- Possess strong Customer Service qualities
- Works in a safe and responsible manner
- Available to work flexible hours
- Knowledgeable of various cuts of meat an asset
- Evening and weekend availability is strongly encouraged
- Must be available to be scheduled anytime on Sunday (Alberta Only)
Physical Requirements (Seldom: Not Daily, Rare: 0-5% of shift, Occasional: 6-33% of shift, Frequent: 34-66% of shift, Constant: 66-100% of shift)
- Constant lifting of up to 10 pounds
- Constant standing, reaching, gripping
- Frequent computer and point of sale system use
- Frequent bending, walking, twisting, pushing or pulling
- Occasional lifting of up to 50 lbs including waist level, shoulder level and low level lifts
- Occasional exposure to heat and cooking exhaust
Why work for us: We offer regular pay increases for hourly employees, flexible scheduling and a comprehensive benefit plan that includes employer funded prescription drug coverage, vision care, dental coverage, and pension plan for eligible employees. We are looking for friendly, enthusiastic individuals who enjoy giving our customers the best shopping experience. If you want the chance to join one of the best retail teams in the industry, enhance your skill set, learn from experts and advance your career, this is the place to be. We are an award winning organization that is renowned for its inclusive work environment and recognized as a great place to work.
Sobeys is committed to accommodating applicants with disabilities throughout the hiring process and will work with applicants requesting accommodation at any stage of this process.
While all responses are appreciated only those being considered for interviews will be acknowledged.
We appreciate the interest from the Staffing industry however respectfully request no calls or unsolicited resumes from Agencies.